This Mom sent in this picture of her sons' bedroom. They are ready to change the baby room to a big boy room. The two boys have bunkbeds and share the room. They would like to keep the bunkbeds but are open to painting the light wood finish something different. The boys are into pirates and they would like the color scheme to have Blues and/or Greens.
1. Add a chair rail 4 1/2 ft from the floor (this is taller than normal) and crown molding at the 8 ft mark painted with semi gloss Deep Brown to increase the architectural interest. The closets doors could also be painted this color.
2. Purchase vintage maps or map wallpaper and install below the chair rail. If you don't want to commit to wallpaper, you can adhere the maps to foam core and add a frame to get the same effect as wainscoting. How to wallpaper with maps: http://www.ehow.com/how_3391014_wallpaper-maps.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
3. Purchase the Wave Rug to simulate water http://www.rugs-direct.com/rugsdirectory/results.aspx?N=4294948738+4294924404&color_id=130669.
4. Take the Blue Gray from the rug and paint above the chair rail and the slat ceiling (yes, the ceiling). How you paint popcorn ceilings: http://www.ehow.com/how_15093_paint-textured-ceiling.html
5. Right now this room could be any style and should last a long time. To bump up the fun pirate elements in the room add these too cool pillows from Vision Bedding. http://www.visionbedding.com/Fabric/Pirate.php.
6. Keep the rest of the bedding solid and neutral.
7. Add a woven shade to the windows and neutral grommet panels